Thursday, July 26, 2018

Krunanan, Skyprodder

I had an idea in mind that deep within the "Untended Cradle" is a creature that had evolved itself enough over a long period of time to become secretly extremely powerful U/G creature that manipulates in subtle, psychic ways, some of the high-speed evolution taking place there.

This eventually made me think of a highly intelligent dragon that the humanoid races of Guthreham are completely unaware exists.

And then as I was thinking about my U/G theme of self-directed evolution I hit on the idea of creatures learning to control triggered abilities. Multitriggering abilities has become an interesting, janky component of blue's identity. Tying it to a creature's abilities seems green. So I end up with Krunanan, here:


This card just seems like it's going to break stuff, but unfortunately I'm not really good at mentally recalling/thinking about what has been published in the past. I've attached it to an attack trigger and then set it target a single other creature to gatekeep it just a little bit.

Within the set itself, you can use it to trigger pretty much all the special abilities in this set. Mutate and Fecund are both triggered abilities. Reave itself is a casting cost, so it doesn't trigger reave, but if there's a creature with an ability that triggers when you pay a reave cost, you can trigger that.

I also had a story idea in my head that Krunanan becomes evolved enough to "spark" and becomes a planeswalker with a build-around focus on creature abilities. I'm still brainstorming what that might look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment