Thursday, February 28, 2019

Compelling ... or Just Weird?

So ... I made this thing in blue because I decided I wanted to try to get weird in blue, as you do:


So this crazy card started with the idea of allowing a player to clone a spell in a way that's different from forking or copying it as we typically see in blue and red. And it's a way to cast a spell in any graveyard in a mechanic that doesn't exile it (which itself is an odd choice because this set encourages exiling cards from graveyard).

I made that first part first, and then I realized that it also had to be castable without using that spell cloning ability. So this ended up turning into this weird modal spell where you can either replay a spell, or you can hang onto it and steal a creature.

So if it's not clear how it works: If you use the first part, Compelling Memory completely transforms into the targeted spell until the end of the turn (including casting cost and other features). So it loses the creature stealing text. Otherwise, you can just hard cast it for six mana to steal a creature.

This is one of those "I don't know" spells where I'm not sure it makes for a more interesting spell cloning mechanic that either simply instant-speed copying or flashback/jump-start mechanisms. And I'm not even sure it's right for this set (though since neither spell exiles, that means that you can use them to play reave kickers ... including potentially reave kickers on the graveyard spell you're cloning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment