Sunday, December 31, 2017

Overgrowth Uncommon Ally Color Creatures

I'm not terribly in love with all of these, and I'm still feeling out where each color pairing is going as far as play styles. I think some of these might change a bit as I flesh out more cards.


This is an odd one because I kind of feel like the spurn ability is too weak for limited in this set, but I also feel like these guys might be too powerful in constructed? I chose not to mandate a small creature for this one (the typical white rule) due to the limitations on using the card to its fullest extent.


Ogres are going to be my red/black creatures for this set. I wanted a humanoid race generally sturdier than goblins and able to survive within the overgrowth itself. There's also a giant or two in the mix.


The bird type for this set will be gulls to reflect the coastal life of the blue/white flotilla folks. Thanks to the overgrowth, some grow large enough to ride. That's some terrible creature subtyping out there I need to figure out. This isn't a tribal set, but I want the card to be usable outside the set in tribal decks. The gullrider's ability is an attempt for me to push into that space of punishing an opponent's aggression in order to win without overly relying on the spurn mechanic.


I just discovered that cephalids are no longer a creature type, which kind of surprised me, and now I wonder if there will be any of them in the next Dominaria set. Or maybe they'll be creature typed "octopus" the way aven are typed as birds. Anyway, this plane has cephalids instead of merfolk, and they live much deeper down in the water and interact rarely (but usually peacefully) with land dwellers. The diseases caught them all very much by surprise. They will be in black and blue in the set. They are very analytical wizards and have no moral opposition to turning to necromancy, but it's all kind of new to most of them. Once Xirn realizes the source of the diseases, one wonders how long peace may last.


Green and red will have elementals and an emphasis on beasts and mutation. The elementals do not see the overgrowth as a problem and celebrate its rapid expansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment