Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Welcome to My "Magic: The Gathering Design" Blog

Hey!

My name's Scott, but I tend to use the handle of "Larcent" for gaming purposes, so I'll stick with that for this blog. I started playing "Magic: The Gathering" waaaaay back in the days when "The Dark" was the hot new set, but I was always a casual player (and already an adult in college at the time, which should give you a sense of my age).

I ended up quitting Magic around the time the Weatherlight and its crew came around. Not enough time and I had moved across the country to start my post-college career and had lost all my playing buddies.

I've slowly been sort of getting back into Magic as an observer on Twitch, which probably seems really, really strange. I've kind of moved beyond games as just a "player" and have grown more and more interested in how they tick. I've been following Magic again since the Return to Zendikar block and was playing "Magic Duels" casually online until Wizards of the Coast abandoned support for it. I do plan to get involved with "Magic Arena" and have applied to be a beta tester. But I've never been much of a "Magic Online" player. I just feel overwhelmed with the weight of the game's history with all the cards. I prefer to watch games and think about design elements.

This is me trying to build my own deck:

I had been sort of mentally brainstorming my own expansion design when WotC announced its new game designer search. I've entered and have been pushing myself to study and practice understanding and designing cards.

So I've started this blog to document my experimentation. I've been participating in the design challenges over at Hipsters of the Coast. I may end up posting some of my card submissions here just to kind of show my mindset and think about how I'm approaching stuff.

Blue is my bag and I'm naturally a "Johnny" player with a very strong "Melvin" influence as well. I was immediately attracted to blue when I first started playing, even though it's the hardest color to learn when you're new (and when I was new they still had "interrupts"!). My tendency to want to build combo-oriented cards will definitely show in this set I'm brainstorming.

But that's all for the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment