Friday, June 15, 2018

G/B Vermin Swarm


I thought about "batching" a bunch of small green and black creatures as "vermin" the way Dominaria has batched "historic" cards, but I don't think the set actually needs it. I'm creating many creatures that qualify as vermin, but not a lot of vermin "tribal" cards. Instead I'm caring about creature tokens, which will abound in both colors.

Ultimately I think I'm definitely cutting black out of fecund, so that mechanic will appear only in bant colors (G/U/W). Black has both mutate and reave. And it will be getting some zombie tokens, which will also be relevant for the B/W identity.

So some vermin relevant cards:


Reave isn't terribly compatible with the vermin concept because tokens aren't going to end up in the graveyard. But it is a way to get a second use of combat tricks, and not all the creatures are going to be tokens, obviously. There won't be many reave cards that this deck will want.


What fecund looks like in rare. I'm very curious to see how this plays out. Once the Warproot Ant Colony is on the battlefield, your natural inclination will to be target it with every subsequent creature with fecund that enters the battlefield. I'm not sure how dangerous this will end up being.


This is a bridge card that can also fit in B/W with zombie tokens, but obviously is also very powerful when comboed with green's fecund creatures.

And a new signpost for G/B. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep Vermin Frenzy as yet. I actually haven't decided on how many multicolor cards will be in the set beyond the signpost uncommons and the two planeswalkers.


So the play dynamic is to play vermin creatures. Use fecund to create additional vermin creature tokens. Swing in with your vermin creatures. When your non-token vermin creatures die, you make token snakes. When your tokens die, you drain your opponent.

No comments:

Post a Comment