Tuesday, June 12, 2018

R/G Revel in the Overgrowth

In the deep tangles of the overgrowth, far away from where people live, various nature denizens absolutely luxuriate in the wild growth of the plane of Guthreham and don't want to be restrained. Some of the sentient races like dryads can feel the growth and grasp the energy being pushed up from somewhere deep within the plane. But they don't know that the plane is "pregnant," and don't care. They just like the way nature reacts to it and the strength it grants them.

So red-green is all about embracing the mutate mechanic and becoming monstrous beaters. Not exactly an unfamiliar role of the two colors. Admittedly, I find this color pairing generally uninspiring, though I did end up liking how the dinosaurs worked out in Ixalan. The enrage mechanic had more gameplay to it than I recognized on paper.

So, some creatures designed for the R/G mutate archetype.


This is a mutate version of a riff on a fun thing to do with enrage in Ixalan. Yes you can use this to kill an X/1 or ping your opponent. But you can also ping one of your own creatures with mutate and even the lizard itself to give it a +1/+1 counter.


I almost absurdly put this as a common. Yeah ... no. I'm gonna have to be careful about granting unblockability in the set.

While iterating some cards for this I began realizing that green's "ramp" identity is very different in this set. It's not about getting out lands and mana-producing creatures to get out big beasts. It's about getting beasts out and then making them grow larger. So there may be a little more emphasis on enchantments and targeted/activated abilities and a little less on getting more lands out.


Now that I'm settling on pairing archetypes I'm also keeping in mind cards that can bridge between color pairings to be versatile in limited formats. The Bonfire Furiant works well in both the red/black reave decks, and if you use this ETB effect on a creature with mutate, it's quite effective. It will get the counter before the effect is resolved. So if you use the ability on the Warproot Dryad, she'll get the +1/+1 counter for being targeted, and then she'll get +2/+0 when the ability fully resolves, making her 4/2 until the end of the turn.

Also, I have no idea what the hell a "furiant" even is. I just wanted some weird angry word to represent a fire elemental.

And the signpost uncommon for Red-Green:


This is another one where I'm not sure about the strength level. Until I playtest it's hard to predict how frequently we can expect a creature to get a counter in a given game. I have a feeling this is probably going to be fine in limited, but I wonder about it in constructed.

No comments:

Post a Comment