Monday, June 11, 2018

U/R Race You to the Bottom

So after experimenting with a couple of cards that reward you for scrying cards to the bottom, I kind of ended up thinking about the idea that the wizards in both blue and red are the ones who understand that something is really wrong with Guthreham and all the growth and the ones who have isolated themselves (either up in Nightscrape Mountains or on the Runetide Flotilla) to research.

Thematically, I started thinking that this manipulation with scrying could be a neat little theme for a blue-red identity to mechanically represent the relentless push to find answers. It's tough to do anything new and interesting with the color combo because of its tendency to focus on spells over creatures (unless you go tribal with them).

So as I stared at it, I realized that technically Snap Spark could be mono-red. Red can scry, though typically it doesn't get as much as other colors. Since blue is primary in scry, I can sort of bend it by making sure they work best together.


Note the cost drop. I realized that when it was two mana it would likely feel very bad if you really needed both cards and didn't put either of them on the bottom. If I kept it red-blue, I'd probably bump it up to scry 3.

Cheap blue Opt substitute:


I worry this one also feels bad if you don't put both on the bottom and get the card draw. I could bump up the cost and have the player draw a card for each one they put on the bottom.

There are elemental shaman folks on the flotilla helping keep tabs on the environment so everyone stays safe:


Note the "leaves the battlefield" trigger instead of death. So they scry if they get blinked or bounced.

And my stab at an uncommon signpost creature for the duo:


Might possibly be too strong for uncommon. But Dominaria really raised the game for signpost uncommons.


No comments:

Post a Comment